Karen Dalton-Beninato: When Words Mean Other Words
Featuring fresh takes and real-time analysis from HuffPost's signature lineup of contributorsHot on the BlogChris KellyZack ExleyMenachem RosensaftRichard N. Haass HuffPost Social Reading
Some error occurred Login with Facebook to see what your friends are reading Enable Social Reading i
Settings Read Share Settings Share everything I read Share only things safe for work Dont share what I'm reading Read Share History Learn More Karen Dalton-BeninatoWriter in New Orleans GET UPDATES FROM Karen Dalton-Beninato Like 115 When Words Mean Other WordsPosted: 07/20/2012 11:57 pm React
Inspiring
Funny
Scary
Hot
Crazy
Important
Weird
Follow
#news_entries #ad_sharebox_260x60 img {padding:0px;margin:0px} share this story Submit this storydiggredditstumble
I've been stumbling into the next best word lately. Today it was pouring rain, I pointed at an umbrella and said chair. Something about that felt familiar. I'd done it before.
Hit your forties and it would be easy to blame middle age if both of my parents hadn't died with Alzheimer's disease.
We live in an over-disclosing society. Your every fear, every weakness easily exposed and dissected. There's a soft underbelly to that, and it's found in the echo of friends who watch your words as they fly by on social media.
Once I am mad as a hatter, I expect to hear about first in a direct message. Gentle and private.
When my father found shortcuts around knowing my name; when my mother couldn't even pretend to know me but there was love enough to make up for it, the words were the least important part of our relationship. For the child of a doctor and an English teacher to care about emotions more than words, there ought to be a better word than irony.
It's been raining in New Orleans as relentlessly as a bad joke. In the middle of that, I can't always find the word I mean for umbrella when heading out into the rain. There's a strength to accepting this occasional word blindness.
My world of words and friends will remind me before anyone else has to.
Follow Karen Dalton-Beninato on Twitter:www.twitter.com/kbeninato
FOLLOW HEALTHY LIVING Like 27k Get Alerts #ad_bottom_article_text {margin-bottom: 15px} Alzheimer's More in Healthy Living...
The Countries That Work Out The Most...
5 Foods This Dietitian Would Never Eat
The Freesome Threesome
Colorado Movie Theater Shooting Shatters Our Sense...
Comments4Pending Comments0 View FAQ
Previewing Your Comment. This comment has not yet been posted You have exceeded your word limit by words. Please click the "Edit" button and shorten your comment.Post Comment Edit Cancel
You can post to us this information Contact us
Click here to leave a comment.HuffPost High School welcomes a lively, thoughtful debate in the comment section. Keep in mind that the articles here are penned by young authors, so please keep criticism respectful, and help us to keep this a safe and supportive place for writers of all ages to contribute.Post CommentPreview Comment To reply to a Comment: Click "Reply" at the bottom of the comment; after being approved your comment will appear directly underneath the comment you replied to. Post Comment Preview Comment To reply to a Comment: Click "Reply" at the bottom of the comment; after being approved your comment will appear directly underneath the comment you replied to. Share your Comment:
Post to Facebook. Post to Blogger. Post to Twitter. Post to WordPress. Post to TypePad. Post to Tumblr. Post to Yahoo! Blogger login: Blogger password: Select blog: refresh list Remember me: Wordpress host: Wordpress login: Wordpress password: Remember me: TypePad host: TypePad login: TypePad password: Select blog: refresh list Remember me: Tumblr login: Tumblr password: Remember me: Community Notice: We've made some changes to our badge program, including the additionof our newest badge: Community Curator.
View All Recency | Popularity
Studentinlife340 Fans 3 hours ago (12:36 AM)Not to be insensitive, can this "blindness" be directed toward a new path. A path where words are overrated. I often encounter times when I simply cannot express my emotional feelings with words. This I am finding at I travel, where words in one language simply do not translate. Words are overrated in my opinion. Having lived in Thailand for almost 5 years without speaking Thai, I can say that touching, facial and hand gestures, body movements are much more expressive and seem to lead to a compassionate bond. Words I think are controlled by the mind. Non-verbal communications are from the heart. Namatase.Studentinlife: Not to be insensitive, can this "blindness" be directed towardhttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/Studentinlife/when-words-mean-other-wor_b_1691307_170403859.htmlHistory |Permalink |Share it
Bobby Anderson12 Fans 2 minutes ago ( 3:53 AM)Excellent observations. I have found this to be true as well. When in doubt about faces in a crowd, I simply smile and magically I feel I am with a group of friends as smiles are returned to me.Bobby_Anderson: Excellent observations. I have found this to be true ashttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/Bobby_Anderson/when-words-mean-other-wor_b_1691307_170421979.htmlHistory |Permalink |Share itThis comment has been down-ranked into oblivion. View comment You have not right to carry out this operation or Error this operation.
Nuttin20 Fans 4 hours ago (12:04 AM)Excellent, as always.I had this same conversation with a friend today whose father has Alzheimer's disease, every slip of his memory, like forgetting words, means something totally different to him... and you.
You always find the perfect words though.Nuttin: Excellent, as always. I had this same conversation with ahttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/Nuttin/when-words-mean-other-wor_b_1691307_170399473.htmlHistory |Permalink |Share it
HUFFPOST BLOGGERKaren Dalton-BeninatoNew Orleans Writer743 Fans 3 hours ago (12:58 AM)Thank you Becky, you're at the top of the Word Friends list.hp_blogger_Karen Dalton-Beninato: Thank you Becky, you're at the top of the Wordhttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/hp_blogger_Karen Dalton-Beninato/when-words-mean-other-wor_b_1691307_170406468.htmlHistory |Permalink |Share itThis comment has been down-ranked into oblivion. View comment You have not right to carry out this operation or Error this operation.
FOLLOW US
Connect with your friends Check out stories you might like, and see what your friends are sharing!
How The Colorado Movie Theater Shooting Affects Our Collective Mental HealthLike 46
Narcolepsy Drug Being Taken By People Without The Disorder -- But Are There Risks?Like 307
The Countries That Work Out The Most (And Least)Like 592
5 Secret Smoothie IngredientsLike 138
Sleep-Promoting (And Sleep-Stealing) FoodsLike 243
This Has Been A Bad Year For Whooping CoughLike 725
FDA Approves Highly Anticipated Weight Loss PillLike 233
QUIZ: Are These Foods Worth Their Salt?Like 82
Dos And Don'ts Of Healthy Hair CareLike 156 Don't Miss HuffPost Bloggers1 of 5
This Has Been A Bad Year For Whooping Cough
The Countries That Work Out The Most (And Least)HOT ON FACEBOOK2RgnQXLokElFimSGDV8i8TKPvBq8xPkmgYINREC4w8w%3DiJKomeBLqmM3QvAVQ0trgPTAYkCdRanfpr%2BnvSQA9QM%3DjpeKJKgSs0bJPlRX0pV4Fss35VaaM%2Fhsd5ArrOAf1yA%3DALiHCL4%2Fdfyo4cJ09v5SmQ%3D%3D1 of 3
50 Of The Healthiest Foods In The World
5 Foods This Dietitian Would Never Eat
'The Dark Knight Rises' Reviews, Green Day's 'Oh Love,' Matisyahu & More: The Week In OuchVideo
Celebrity Pregnancies: Stars Who Kept A Low Profile While ExpectingCelebrities
2012 Open Championship: Tee Times For Third Round On Saturday At Royal LythamGolf
Olympic Swimming: Jimmy Feigen Looks For Success In London In Olympics DebutOLYMPICS NEWS
Jamie Rohrs, Colorado Shooting Survivor, Proposes After Family Escapes DeathDenver News
Al Golden, Staff Used Ex-Employee Sean Allen To Break Recruiting Rules, Report ClaimsMiami Sports
Priorities USA Action, Barack Obama Super PAC, Raises $6.1 Million In JuneElections 2012
Romney, Republicans Fundraising Beat Obama, Democrats In JuneDemocratic Convention
Luis Walker, Air Force Instructor, Convicted Of Rape, AssaultSex more big news pages » Advertise | Make HuffPost your Home Page | RSS | Careers | FAQ User Agreement | Privacy | Comment Policy | About Us | About Our Ads | Contact Us Copyright © 2012 TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc. | "The Huffington Post" is a registered trademark of TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc. All rights reserved. Part of AOL Lifestyle
HuffPost Lightbox
View the original article here
This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.
Comments
Post a Comment